Guidelines for misdemeanor/traffic appeals

Defendants have until the close of business the day prior to the trial date to withdraw an appeal once the case is received from the General District or Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court. Fines and court costs must be paid in full at the time the appeal is withdrawn. The original terms and conditions ordered by the General District or Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court will be in effect (such as license suspension, jail time, VASAP, New River Community Corrections, no contact provisions, fines/costs imposed, etc.

I didn't want a lawyer, but now I do. How do I get one?

Please write a letter to the judge handling the case.

If I'm not happy with my attorney, how do I get a new one?

Please write a letter to the judge handling the case requesting a new court-appointed attorney.

How do I continue my court date?

If you have a lawyer, contact his or her office. If you are not represented, write a letter to the judge handling your case with the reason why you want your case continued. Include your contact information with the letter.

Do I need to be present for a grand jury?

No, please contact your attorney prior to Grand Jury.

How do I request an interpreter?

An attorney must submit a letter to the Clerk's office requesting an interpreter at least seven days prior to the trial date.

How do I request a subpoena?

Your request must be in writing, and provide full name, address and county/city in which the person subpoenaed resides. There is no cost for criminal subpoenas.

Clerk of Circuit Court
County Courthouse
55 East Main St., Suite 1
Christiansburg, VA 24073

Phone: (540) 382-5760

1 - Marriage Licenses, Payment Options and other General Questions
2 - Criminal division
3 - Civil division
4 - Probate division
5 - Land records/Record room
6 - Jury Information

Public hours:

Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Recording hours: 
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Marriage license hours:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.