As Montgomery County, Va., continues to monitor Hurricane Florence, we want to make you aware of a resource page on our website with information and tips for preparing for the hurricane: montva.com/florence. In addition to the resource page, we will post information via Citizens Alert (sign up), Shentel and Comcast channel 190, Facebook, and Twitter.
For current weather conditions and updates, please visit the National Weather Service at www.weather.gov/blacksburg.
To view comprehensive details related to building and maintaining an emergency preparation kit, visit www.ready.gov/build-a-kit.
Things to consider during your emergency preparations include:
- Secure outside furniture and tools due to potential high winds.
- Secure animals living outside, including pets and farm animals to keep them safe from potential high winds and significant rainfall.
- Prepare for potential sustained power outages – those lasting 12 to 24 hours.
- Make plans for keeping necessary foods and medicines in need of refrigeration at safe temperatures.
- Make sure you have flashlights with working batteries.
- Gather necessary medical supplies you might need: extra oxygen, prescriptions, etc.