Throughout the year, we receive numerous calls from citizens who express concerns about motorists and pedestrians who fail to comply with traffic laws. The most common complaints are about speeding, failure to obey highway signs and reckless or intoxicated drivers.
Our traffic laws are designed with safety in mind. When tempered with proper consideration and adherence, most accidents, injuries and tragedies can be avoided. Please take the time to evaluate your own behavior behind the wheel and keep the following tips in mind:
- Obey the speed limit
- Don't make sudden changes in direction
- Give proper signals
- Regularly check your side & rear mirrors
- Don't tailgate other drivers
- Never operate a vehicle when upset or angry
- Expect changes in road conditions or the sudden appearance of emergency vehicles
- Buckle-up yourself & others
- Be courteous; don't seek revenge or try to intimidate others
- NEVER drink & drive
- Keep music at a reasonable sound level
If you are walking, you can do your part to avoid accidents by:
- Walk on sidewalks when they are available
- If sidewalks aren't available, walk facing traffic
- Be predictable; cross at corners or marked crosswalks
- Always look both ways twice before entering the roadway
- Wear bright clothing at night and walk in well lighted areas
- Never play in the street
Traffic safety is everyone's responsibility. Thinking ahead, following the rules of safety and observing the law can help keep our streets safe for everyone and will save lives.
For more information or questions about traffic safety, contact the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office at (540) 382-6915.