Welcome! This webpage is intended to help guide applicants through the Montgomery County site plan review process.
When do I need a site plan?
Prior to beginning construction, the site plan should be submitted to and approved by the Montgomery County Plan Review Team. Plans must be approved prior to issuance of permits. Site plans review is enabled through Sections 15.2-2241 through Section 15.2-2246 of the Code of Virginia.
Montgomery County requires site plans for:
- Any residential development, including major subdivisions
- Mobile Home Park development
- Any business, office, or professional site development
- Any commercial development
- Any industrial development
- Any grading or fill operation of more than 10,000 sq. feet
- Changes in uses of existing buildings/sites
For information on residential construction on existing lots, contact the Planning Department at 540-394-2148.
Development Review Team Members
Montgomery County’s Development Review team is made up of representatives from several County departments and other agencies and may vary between projects.
County departments represented include Planning & GIS, Public Service Authority, Engineering, Building Inspections, and Emergency Services.
Other agencies, as needed, include Montgomery County Public Schools, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), and the Virginia Department of Health (VDH).