Types of Documents
Land records such as deeds, deeds of trust, refinanced deeds of trust, credit line deeds of trust, assignments, plats, deeds of easement, powers-of-attorney, certificates of satisfaction, homestead deeds, deeds of foreclosure*, covenants & restrictions, as well as others, are recorded daily in our office from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Public inspection of documents
Documents are available for public inspection in our office during normal business hours from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. If you have a subscription to Logan Systems Inc., you may also view or print out many of these documents online. Please bear in mind, not all of our documents are available through Logan Systems Inc. If you do not currently have a subscription to Logan Systems Inc., you must come to our office to access documents in person.
Copies are available from our office for 50 cents per page (8.5x11, 8.5x14, 11x17). If an oversized (larger than 11x17) plat is available, those oversized copies are $2 per sheet.
As the county recorder, the Clerk files these types of documents as well as others. Currently, we use an electronic scanning and indexing system powered by Logan Systems Inc.. Virginia law (§ 17.1-227.1) allows clerks to require a cover sheet for all recordings. Our office requires the Virginia Land Records Cover Sheet for all land recordings.
Documents to be recorded must also be notarized. The document must contain notary language, venue information, as well as the notary’s information – including notary registration number and the notary’s seal. While incorrect fees, missing cover sheets and improper notaries may be the most common reasons to reject and return land records, there may be many other reasons for return. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact our office before you submit your land records for recording.E-Recording Vendors
Our office accepts e-recording through Simplifile, CSC and ePN. For e-recording there is no coversheet required. If you would like to e-record please contact one of our vendors.
Phone: 800-460-5657 | Website: simplifile.com
Phone: 866-652-0111 | Website: erecording.com
| E-Mail: email@example.com
Phone: 888-325-3365 | Website: GOePN.com
| E-Mail: sales@GOePN.com
- Be sure that corporation names are entered as a corporation and list the complete name in the “last name” box.
- Do not use any type of punctuation (i.e. periods or commas)
- List Jr., Sr., III, etc or TR for trustee in the “suffix” box.
- Land descriptions:
- Town or district where property is located; please do not use both
- Subdivision name, lot #, phase #, section #
- Use acreage amount
- Certificate of satisfaction:
- Grantor: Borrowers and first trustee (please put TR for trustee in the suffix box)
- Grantee: Borrowers
- Description: Deed book and page number or instrument number from original deed of trust.
- Grantor: Borrowers and bank that assigns mortgage
- Grantee: New bank
- Description: Deed book and page number of original deed of trust
- Deed of trust:
- Grantor: Borrowers
- Grantee: First trustee listed on deed of trust (please put TR for trustee in the suffix box)
- Subordination Agreement:
- Grantor: Everyone that signs the document and the borrowers if they haven’t signed
- Grantee: New bank or new trustees if bank is not listed
- Description: Deed book and page number or Instrument number of original deed of trust
- Grantor: Owners
- Grantee: Owners
- Description: Description on map
- Grantor: Everyone who signed
- Grantee: Everyone who signed
- Substitute Trustee:
- Grantor: Everyone who signed and borrowers if they have not signed
- Grantee: New trustee
- Description: Deed book and page number or instrument number of original deed of trust
- Homestead deed:
- Grantor: debtors
- Grantee: debtors
- Mechanics lien:
- Grantor: Property owners
- Grantee: Claimants
- Description: Brief property description
- Grantor: Everyone that signs
- Grantee: Individual receiving easement
- Description: Town or district where easement is located
- Power of Attorney:
- Grantor: Individual granting power
- Grantee: Individual receiving power
Click here to obtain deed book forms and instructions.
*While deeds of foreclosure are filed in our office, we do not have advance notice of properties in the foreclosure process. Likewise, we do not conduct auctions or sales on the courthouse steps. These are conducted by auctioneers on behalf of trustees, banks or other lending institutions. Please contact the appropriate party or parties for this information. If you would like to look up information regarding a property that is in foreclosure, please come to our office to use the record room. It helps to have the property address and/or name of the property owner or previous owner.